Welcome to District Urushi - Custom urushi fountain pens...!
Urushi is one of the hardest and resilient natural finishes known to mankind. With little
care it can stay magnificent for many decades. Following are few care instructions and important info
related to Urushi lacquered products.
- Urushi takes around 1 yr or so to cure thoroughly (last 2%). However, it is safe to handle at the
time of shipping and is 90-98% cured.
- In case you experience any allergic reaction. It is recommended to seek medical treatment and avoid
using pen until it is left to cure further.
- Avoid soaking any lacquered pieces in water for prolonged periods or ultrasonic baths.
- Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures.
- If necessary, Gently wash with tap water and mild detergent. Wipe it dry with clean microfiber
- Ultraviolet rays are damaging to Urushi and can cause damage to layers. Never leave your pen in
direct sunlight for an extended time. It may cause discoloration or hazing.
- It is expected for urushi to change color over time. Enjoy this transformation!
- Store in cool and slightly humid place for long term storage. Do not use de-humidifier.
Follow me @district_urushi
My name is Diwakar. I am fountain pen user & collector located in Northern Virginia.
I started practicing lacquer work as hobby and learned urushi techniques by customizing personal
I consider myself a novice practitioner who has barely scratched the surface of Urushi techniques.
My work is inspired by traditional and modern techniques. I love to experiment with & mix different
to come up with designs as I go.